PA Storage Monitor System Requirements
PA Storage Monitor has been designed to use as few system resources as possible. The goal is not to affect the server it is running on, and also not to affect any monitored servers.
- Operating System
- This application can be installed on a physical or VM platform that has one of the following operating systems installed.
- Windows Client: Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
- Windows Server: 2003, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016
- 32 and 64 bit operating systems are supported
- Internet Explorer 9 or higher is recommended.
- .NET 2.0 or higher for report generation
- 50 - 500 MB of physical RAM for the monitoring process
- The amount of RAM needed will go up and down during the monitoring cycles. Every few minutes the monitoring service flushes unneeded memory to keep the process size small. RAM usage will increase when running certain data intensive reports, or if running a monitor that uses a large amount of data from the database. However, these increases will be temporary.
- Disk Space
- 50 MB - 10 GB* of disk space
- The amount of required disk space varies widely based on the
amount of data to store in the database. The program files are roughly 30 MB,
and report files are roughly 10 MB. A 'typical' installation (where the default
monitors are used on a single computer) would use roughly 10 MB for the database files.
*The File System Analyzer monitor increases the disk space needs significantly since it can catalog entire file systems.
- CPU Usage
- You configure the target CPU usage
The Settings dialog lets you specify a target CPU Usage %. In general the monitoring service will attempt to keep CPU usage at or below that level. Occasionally, when flushing data to the database or when running large reports, the CPU Usage can spike higher, but that will be temporary and should not have an impact on the system.
In addition, certain long-running monitors will use low-priority threads so they will only use unneeded CPU cycles, and get pushed to the background immediately if 'real' work needs to be done by the system.
- The recommended hardware configurations for your version of Windows will be sufficient for PA Storage Monitor.
The Product Security page can answer any questions you might have regarding monitoring security.
Since PA Storage Monitor is so quick and easy to install, downloading and trying it is probably the easiest way to see exactly how it will behave in your environment with your configuration.